Friday, March 14, 2008

More Kid Comments

Let me preface all this with saying I'm really glad it's Friday. The weeks leading up to spring break (just two weeks away) are always rough going. Working with kids.... especially at-risk kids... well, you just never know what they are going to say. Today, for instance, I had a senior boy working on his US History class. The question he got stuck on was, "What is the name of war in which America fought for independence?". Now, this should be a no-brainer, seeing as it was the tenth question on the quiz and every single question of the previous 9 used the term"American Revolutionary War". It was a multiple choice question, with the choices being A. American Revolution B. World War II C. Industrial Revolution, and D. Civil War. I asked the student what he thought the answer should be, and he said (as seriously as possible) that he thought it was World WarII. So I told him that the war he's looking for was in the 1700's, and since World War II was in the 1940's, that couldn't be right. And the poor kid says, oh, I know the right answer now, I just got confused earlier. It's the Industrial Revolution, right?

I didn't have the heart to correct him again. So I just told him that it was his test and he should go with his gut.

Poor guy got a o%... I guess he must have put the Civil War on some of the other questions!

And speaking of goofball kids, this week was the ISTEP retest. Chris was proctoring the test for a group of students, and the writing prompt asked the kids to write an essay about the most important event in their lives. One kid decided to write about the first time he saw a diesel truck... which isn't all that funny in and of itself. Except the kid spelled diesel "deeeesel".

In other news, we went to dinner tonight with my mom, dad, and Heidi. Heidi was stopping through on her way back to Evansville (she was in D.C. for vacation). I think she had a fun time visiting all the monuments and museums... she said it was really neat. I'm looking forward to seeing all her pictures.

Chris is now watching Purdue play in the Big Ten Tournament... and I really hope they win. He'll be in an awful mood otherwise!!! So Boiler Up!!! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Missy!! said...

YAY!! Boiler Up indeed!! However, we are a divided house.. Andy is rooting for the Fighting Illini while I'm going for black & gold! :) Have you convinced Heidi to start her own blog yet? Sharing those pictures would be a great way to do so!

Rajean B. said...

We didn't get to watch the game last night because we went to bed early! Anywho...we were very upset to see how the Big Ten games ended. Doug was upset because they just didn't play that well (both Purdue and Indiana), so we can understand how Chris is feeling.

Anonymous said...

generic soma many carisoprodol 350 mg get high - buy soma online no prescription cheap