Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight Savings Time

This is a totally trivial thing to hate... but I hate daylight savings time! I know Indiana has always been an odd duck by not having it, and maybe I'd feel differently if it has always been in place. But every time we have to fall back or spring forward I pretty much just feel off for about a week. And it messes up my sleeping, which makes me tired, which makes me... cranky. Not to mention that it does the same for my students, which is irritating. For example, in my morning class I should have 15 students (we keep small numbers because it's an alternative program). Want to guess how many showed up today? Seven. Seven lonely students... and of those seven, three were one hour late to class. Unbelievable.

Other than that, not much new to discuss. Baseball practice started today for Chris, and he's truthfully not that excited about his team. In his words, all of the decent players are either academically ineligible or a girl... and since he comes from Connersville, which has a very strong program (he, and all of his friends, seriously started playing at age 5 and played all the way through high school... and his friend Brian even pitched on the minor league farm team for the Colorado Rockies before he got married and started having kids), it's a little frustrating for him. So we'll see how it goes, I guess. Maybe he'll get lucky and some soft hearted teachers will have pity on those ineligible kids this grading period.

2 comments:

Missy!! said...

Daylight Savings Time.. totally agree! Come on.. I mean, last year at the Shelby County Fair, the fireworks started around 10... TEN! No no no.. that isn't how it is to work! I hated it! Indiana does NOT need daylight.... Illinois on the other hand, it works for them (they still hate it, but it works out nicely!).. but not Indiana!

Christine said...

Daylight saving's time is the stupidest idea ever. Did you see the article that where they did a study on Indiana and found that when we switched to DST it actually costs people more money. In the summer you're home from work sooner and have to run the air conditioner an extra hour and in the winter you're up an hour early and have to have the heat on.