Sunday, May 25, 2008

Calling All Elementary Teachers!

On May 31st, my sister in law is having my niece and nephew's birthday party. Claire will be 4 and Collin will be 10. Claire has already requested Hannah Montana stuff... but I'd kind of like to get her something slightly educational as well. And I have NO idea what to get a 10 year old boy... except I know he likes to read. So here's my question to you El Ed geniuses... what would be good presents (especially books?) for a 4 year old girl and a 10 year boy? Missy, I know you probably have a million book titles to recommend, so bring them on!!!

I also have a cousin graduating from high school, and I'm not sure if I should just give her money or stuff for college. She's a good girl who's going to college for an English Education degree, so I may be a little biased towards her since she's going into education! I was thinking about towels or stuff for her dorm room, but I'm not sure... So here's another question... What was the best graduation gift you got?

Thanks, you guys are the best!!!

3 comments:

Missy!! said...

Boy did you come to the right place! :) Okay.. 10.. so that's 4th grade, right? My recommendation.. go to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale. EVERY book is 1/2 priced.. and it is at the bookfair warehouse. 4625 W 86th Street, Indianapolis

Thu., 5/8/2008 - Fri., 5/30/2008
5/19-5/23 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturdays 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
closed Sundays and Memorial day
5/27-5/30

And if you go to scholastic.com and register, you can even print off a coupon!

Okay.. back to some suggestions. I know when I did my student teaching, the fourth graders LOVED The Magic Tree House Series.. but it is more of a 3rd grade level. "Al Capone Does My Shirts" was a good book (probably 5th) umm.. the "Egyptology," "Pirateology," "Dragonology" books are really popular. The Wayside School books are good for that age.. as well as the Chronicals of Narnia.. Pirate books are big... Seriously.. go to this warehouse. TONS of stuff.. from board books to adult books, cook books, pencils, pens, you name it, it is there! For that.. you could even take him there and let him pick out his own. I'm serious.. floor to ceiling of books. LOVED IT!

As far as your 4 year old neice.. Once again, I'm a fan of books. After Ella was born I found a book that had her name in it, and I know kids always like books "about them" even if it isn't. Side note.. what about a bike? Just a thought! :)

College bound.. eek! :) I know when I graduated, I wanted the money, now I wish I would have gotten more "stuff." Money you spend and it is gone, but "stuff" you have forever.

Rajean B. said...

I'm a little out of the loop as far as what books are popular with elementary students these days. I think the suggestions Missy gave are great. I too have been to the Scholastic Warehouse...and Missy isn't kidding when she says floor to ceiling books!

For graduation gift...one thing that I really liked was a laundry basket (or hamper) filled with some towels, washclothes, laundry soap, dryer sheets, roll of quarters, etc. Maybe she could use a new watch...if you want something more long lasting. Or..If she will be driving some, a gas card might be nice as well. With being an English major...you could also go for a nice dictionary and/or thesaurus...a book of quotes (I'm sure she will be doing a lot of writing!). Another idea might be some plates, bowls, silverware, etc. for eating in the dorm room.

Hope this helps!

kristen said...

Just a few additions to the awesome suggestions from Missy and Rajean:

Books for boys: Captain Underpants might be a little young, but anything with toilet humor is usually a hit with kids. Those books make me laugh till I cry! Also I read one of the Joey Pigza books (Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key) to one of my classes a year or so ago, it is about a boy with ADHD and the hilarious things he goes through at school. Serious reader boys sometimes like the Lemony Snicket books or the Tale of Despereaux is really popular with fourth graders.

Graduation gifts: I agree with the laundry basket idea, maybe add some nice towels, stain remover, etc. I got a gift like that that I used often, I think I am still using the laundry basket!