Monday, October 13, 2008

Prepare to be disgusted...

One of my students came in this morning and told me that her mother was going to text her during class to let her know what time she was scheduled for a doctor appointment. Since she didn't look or sound sick, I asked her if she was feeling okay. She then informed me that she learned over the weekend that she has intestinal worms! And I'll spare you the gory details that I got, but suffice it to say that she learned about the worms because they started exiting....

I swear I've never been so revolted in all my life. Like Heidi said when I told her, I didn't think people got worms unless they lived in a third world country! Sick, sick, sick!!! I don't think I'll ever be able to look at that girl the same way ever again. They definitely didn't prepare me for stuff like this in any of my undergraduate or master's classes!!! As a side note, my hands are absolutely chapped from the zillion times I've washed them.....

3 comments:

Missy!! said...

Eww!! I remember when Mike was a freshman.. Mr. Barton told them that if they would grow a worm, then take the meds to get it removed and let him have it, he'd give them an A! So Mike seriously thought about it, til he learned how you contracted worms, then what they did, and how they came out! YUCK!

Rajean B. said...

I'm sorry you had to experience that. I hope the girl gets the problem taken care of...soon. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

kristen said...

That is revolting! Here's hoping I never hear of a first grader with that problem!